Monday, December 15, 2008

Childlike Christmas

Remember when you were a kid in class, and some one would notice that it was snowing? They'd always shout it out, so excitedly. Then the class would all run to the windows and enjoy the magic of snow falling. Reality would soon set in as the teacher made every one go sit back down, but I remember I would always keep sneaking glances outside.

Remember when you were a kid, Christmas was the thing of the year (aside from your birthday). It seemed like ages before it finally came and when it did, you just couldn't contain yourself. It didn't really matter too much if you got what you asked Santa for or not, it was the thrill of the packages under the tree, wrapped festivly and just begging to be opened. I used to harass my mom non-stop for just ONE present to open early. Some times she'd give in, some times she wouldn't.

In our family, we always opened presents from the family Christmas Eve and then the presents Santa left under the tree and in our stockings Christmas morning. Every year I'd get up super early to peek under the tree and take my stocking back with me to my room. One year I got a Baby Sitters Club movie in my stocking. I watched it in my room at 3 in the morning and then went back to bed.

Then there was the food. The Christmas Feast. My mom always makes a ham dinner for Christmas dinner. Ham and potatoes and biscuits and pie. My mom makes THE best pies in the world.

Christmas day was all about playing with the new toys you got and being with the family.

It seems the older we get, the less fun Christmas is. There's decorations to put up. That in itself is a lot of work for just a month (if you're us - we put our stuff up typically the weekend of Thanksgiving). Then comes the agonizing task of Christmas shopping. I always put a lot of pressure on myself to find "that" gift that the recipient will just LOVE. I love giving presents that are unique and totally awesome. My favorite part of Christmas presents is the wrapping. I spend a lot of time and effort (usually) wrapping my presents up so they look just right. Like little pieces of art. I know that not everyone appreciates the hard work, but I do and that's what matters.

I know Christmas to many is the celebration of Christ. I'm not overly religious but I have my beliefs and they're mine. I think, though, that Christmas can also just be about family. Just because you're not Christian, doesn't mean that you can't get caught up in the season. There are so many things to be excited about. The tradition of things. I think it's so awesome that these Christmas traditions carry on. There's the season itself - it's winter, so there's snow and hot cocoa and good books by the fire. There's skiing or snowboarding or sledding.

In the Christmas spirit, here are a few things I'm thankful for:

My family. I may not be as in love with Idaho as my mother would like me to be (I MISS Washington), but I love being close to my family. I just wish we got to see more of them and do more things together. My brother lives 11 miles from my house and I don't see him often enough.

Our troops. It's not a glamorous job; they don't get to pick where they go or when they go. But they go, when ever they're called and often under less than perfect conditions.

My situation. I have a job, I have a car (although it needs some help, it still runs), I have a house. These days, less and less people can claim all of those things. I'm thankful that although I don't love my job, at least I have one and it allows me to continue paying for my house and my car.

And speaking of that job, it's time I brought this post to an end and get back to it.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment