Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011!

Well the new year is upon us! We invited the kids over to stay New Years Eve and I really did enjoy having them. I planned a few things I saw on the Dating Diva's blog - starting at 9:00, we did one task an hour: first we filled out a year in review of 2010 to be looked at again at the end of 2011. At 10:00 we opened our lucky pennies. At 11:00 we filled out 4 goals for the upcoming year (my favorite: Emma wanted to eat more pancakes). At midnight (which Emma nearly made it to - she decided she'd had enough and went to bed at about 11:45ish), we drank sparkling cider and popped confetti poppers.

For days now, I've had a "draft" blog going of my reflections for 2010. So many wonderful things happened in our family, mostly centering around Ben but...there's a super large cloud that's shadowing our 2010 and it's carrying in to 2011. I want to hope that 2011 is going to be a super fantastic year for us, but in harsh reality, I know it's going to be a hard year. I hope that with grace, dignity and a touch of humor, we can make the best of what we have. So many things to look forward to - Nick graduating college and hopefully putting that hard earned degree to use via a bigger paycheck, Ben will being talking more and learning to walk, more and more teeth will come in, visiting with family near and far, and I'll continue to turn our house into a home.

I have never before made "resolutions" at the start of the year. I've always said that I'm a work in progress, and I see no reason to use the beginning of a new year as an excuse to suddenly start doing something different. This year is no real exception, but I do have some goals outlined for myself that I want to make sure I accomplish through out this year and really future years.

Specifically, I want to become more organized and focused on keeping my house in order. This includes cleaning, budgeting my husbands money, meal planning and living in harmony with one another (okay, I snickered at the last one). I also want to make sure I spend time working on my relationship with my husband - we had some super generous friends and family over the holidays and I want to put their thoughtful gift cards to use. Hopefully we can remember to take time to have at least one date night a month, were the kiddo gets left behind and we get to be "Nick & Sarah" and not "mama and papa". I'm hoping that with my determination to get our budget more streamlined, that we're able to tuck some money away in savings and use some of that money for an actual vacation. I don't care where we go, but I hope we get to take one this year. Other than going out of town for a work related trip or our quick over night trip to California for Connor's baseball tournament, Nick & I haven't been on vacation in nearly 2 years (we went to visit family in Florida right before I got pregnant).

I'm also making more of an effort to drink more water during the day. I realized that I drank 2 cups of coffee in the morning and a soda with lunch and dinner. That was it. So I'm trying to remember to have a glass or two of water in there as well. Along with that goal on the healthier side, I hope I also remember to exercise a bit more. When the weather is warmer, we were pretty good about going for a walk 4 or 5 nights a week but since it got cold - all I do is chase Ben around the house (which is QUITE a work out in itself).

So that's it. That's what I'm going to be focused on for 2011 - which really isn't so different than what I've been doing...I have more tools now to help me with my endeavors and I think I've streamlined some processes to be more successful.

On a different but sort of related note: for those of you that are following my mom's progress - she's still in the hospital. At this point, there's no end date in sight. She's still having incredible pain in her abdomen which apparently has the doctor baffled, as the cause hasn't really been determined or fixed. She'll be having a bone marrow biopsy and another catscan on Monday. Thank you all so much for your words of comfort and your prayers.

Much love to you all,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment