Friday, August 12, 2011

Customized Travel Bottles.

The hubs, bubs & I are getting ready to fly out to Chicago towards the end of the month for a 2 week-most-expenses-paid-extravaganza. Hubs has started a new job locally, but their HQ is in Chicago, so the bubs & I get to go along for the training ride.

Anyway, I've been making lists & checking them twice about what to bring with us on our trip. Packing for 2 weeks for 2 adults is daunting enough, add packing for a toddler in to that mix and you have a heck of a long list.

For our shower necessities, I wanted to jazz up the bottles a bit. I started out with some clear plastic travel bottles like so:

Using my SCAL2 program, I typed up the words I wanted for each bottle: shampoo, condition {I would have put "conditioner" but the surface space I'm working with is small and taking those extra two letters off the end made a big difference}, his & hers {for each of our body washes}. I could have used one of my cartridges, but I liked the clean lines of the Arial font for this project:

I had those cut to a left over piece of black vinyl I had laying around from a previous project:

As you can see, I had to cut "shampoo" and "conditioner" more than once - the blade messed up on one of the "o's" in "shampoo" and "conditioner" didn't look right, so I changed it to "condition" and recut.

Once cut, I layered on some transfer tape and burnished the finished words onto my plastic bottles - viola!

I have no idea how the vinyl will hold up to water - let's hope my 20 minute craft project doesn't run down the drain with my shampoo suds in Chicago!

1 comment: