Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Come....Christmas Go....

Today probably isn't the best of days to blog as I'm in a grumpy frame of mind (that happens when I think about my life, what I'm doing with my life and where my life is going....and with the coming new year, those items have been on my mind pretty much nonstop), but I have these thoughts swirling in my mind and I feel I need to get them out.

I don't know about anyone else but I was so disappointed this Christmas. Not because the gift-exchange was much smaller than normal, but because of the general attitude. Everyone seemed depressed or upset or annoyed or put-off by the whole holiday. This is two holiday's in a row (Thanksgiving being the first) that I'm glad is over and so glad that we have almost a full year before we have to go through again.

I don't care if you're Christian, Buddhist, Agnostic, Atheist, LDS, Catholic, Baptist, Jewish or Muslim. This time of year is special. It's December, the close of one year and the open of the next. It's time for reflection of the prior year, for dreams of the coming year and for being with FAMILY. Rich and poor, old and young alike - it's a time to just come together and celebrate being a family. Whether or not you choose to believe in Christ, whether or not you choose to belive in the celebration of his birth, it's a magical time of year. The family traditions that carry on from year to year and the new ones that are created are important and should be given respect and JOY.

It's not about gift giving. It's not about who got what from whom. It's not about who got the best gift or who got the worst gift (although, I think mom wins that one w/ the list of things to do from her mom). It's just about being together as a family and enjoying the time together. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have another Christmas where I feel stressed out and upset and the general feeling that I just can't wait for it to be OVER. If that's how it's going to be in the future, then I guess I'll choose not to participate any more.

I'm not trying to write this blog and be a Negative Nancy. But you know, as far as WE know we only get the one life. Why should we spend it doing things that are unpleasant and make us feel bad? Why can't we have fun and enjoy our lives while still being good people?? It doesn't seem like that radical of an idea and I admire those of you that choose to do the things that make you happy.

What it comes down to, I suppose, is making a choice. Choosing to be happy and healthy and accepting the cards that are dealt to you - choosing then to play your hand or ask for new cards to see what else you might get. It's your attitude on how you face the challenges of your day that really shape who you are. I, for one, am tired of resenting...well...pretty much everything. I can choose to be annoyed and hateful towards Idaho, or I can accept that this is my landing spot for a few years and move on with enjoying my time here the best I can while I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment