Thursday, October 28, 2010

Baked Macaroni and Three Cheese*.

I've been trying out some new recipes this week and thought I'd pass on last nights dinner. Super yummy and way easy to make. I'll post the original recipe and then my alterations:

*disclaimer: The only ways this is a "macaroni and cheese" recipe is that there are noodles and cheese.

1/4 pound ziti pasta, cooked
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 cup low-fat sour cream
6 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
6 ounces low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Romano cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking pan.

In a large mixing bowl, toss together the pasta, spaghetti sauce and sour cream. Mix together the provolone, the mozzarella and the Romano cheese and set aside. Now layer half the pasta mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle half the cheese mixture on the pasta. Layer remaining pasta on top and then the rest of the cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Don't let the cheese brown.

Here's how I changed it:
  • I did not use sour cream. I didn't have any.
  • I used my can of Parmesan cheese instead of the Romano (saved me moolah at the grocery store and I'm pretty sure there is zero taste difference - as far as the fakey stuff goes).
  • I bought the provolone at the deli counter, pre-wrapped and pre-sliced.
  • I didn't "mix" the cheese, it didn't make sense to me to do that, since the provolone is sliced.
  • I cooked the noodles, drained the water and returned them to the pot and added the spaghetti sauce.
  • Then I sprayed Pam on the baking dish and spread out half of the pasta with sauce.
  • Then I shook the can of Parmesan over the top til it looked good, spread about half a bag of mozzarella cheese on top and laid out about 6 slices of the provolone.
  • Repeat and bake.
This makes a LOT. The book says 6 servings.... I know Nick & I had seconds last night (and they were good sized portions, since I didn't make a side dish) and we have 4 containers of it left over plus I gave it to Ben for dinner and lunch (and he LOVES it).

No comments:

Post a Comment