Friday, October 29, 2010

Skillet Lemon Chicken With Rosemary

So here is another new recipe that we tried last night. I'll post how it was written in the book and then I'll show what I did different and my plans for this in the future.

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, pressed
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon olive oil
  • In a blender or food processor, blend lemon juice, wine, mustard, garlic and rosemary until well combined. In a large zipper-topped plastic bag, throw the chicken in and add the lemon juice mixture. Keep in the fridge for at least an hour (or do this in the morning and have it well marinated that night).
  • In a small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth and cornstarch until dissolved; set aside.
  • In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken (reserving marinade) on each side, about 4 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet and cover to keep warm.
  • Now add reserved marinade to the skillet and, using a wire whisk, stir in the cornstarch mixture and the remaining broth. Bring to a bowl, sirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Return chicken to skillet, heat through and serve with sauce.

What I did different:
  • I didn't use fresh lemon juice - just the kind from the little plastic squeezie bottle you buy at the grocery store.
  • I didn't have dry white wine, but I did use a sweet dessert wine.
  • I used the Gluden's spicy brown mustard for the dijon.
  • I reduced the garlic from 3 cloves to 1 (I followed another recipe of hers where she called for 4 cloves of garlic and it was simply too much).
  • I also didn't have rosemary so I subbed in thyme.
  • I found that 4 minutes was not NEARLY enough time to cook the chicken and I only used 2 breasts.

Over all, this was good. It was tangy and had a good flavor. Here are my plans for next time:

  • Follow all of the steps up through the marinade.
  • At that point, I plan to add the cornstarch to the entire cup of chicken broth, combine with the chicken and marinade and bake in a 350 or 375 oven, covered with foil, about 30 or so minutes until the chicken is done.
  • Then serve over egg or fettuccine noodles.


No comments:

Post a Comment