Wednesday, July 4, 2012


Well, when I last posted I said little man had an eviction date of the 9th if I didn't go in to labor on my own.

I went in to labor on my own.

Saturday morning my dad came and picked me up and took me shopping for the changing table/dresser (it was the last big item I needed for the room and I was so relieved when he offered to get it for us).  I had Nick put it together during Ben's nap and we finished it up after Ben went to bed.  Then we got the trim attached to the wall.  All that was left to do at that point was fill in the nail holes on the trim, paint it out and hang up my decorations.  Junior's room would have been complete.

I went to bed that night around 11:00ish.  I read for a few minutes and went to sleep.  I woke up some where around 12:15ish feeling like I had to pee and when I stood up, felt two little sharp jabs in my lower belly.  I was nearly to the toilet when my water broke.  And man did it BREAK.  They were not at all wrong when they said I had a lot of fluid.  Nick was still up working, so I called him in to the bathroom and said "um... my water just broke..."

The look on his face was pure comedy.  All these different emotions flickered over his face and he started hopping around like a monkey "what do we do?  what do we do?  I'll call the doctor" and he dashed off.  :)  I wasn't too concerned but, I also was wondering what do we do?  I wasn't having any contractions.  I remembered there's a timing thing with how long you can wander around with your water broken before there's a risk of infection.  Turns out, my OB was on call that night and called Nick back and told him he needed to get me to the hospital.

So we called my dad (a bit of a comedy on that one too - my dad didn't answer his phone, so we called my brother who also didn't answer his phone so I started to call Lisa when my dad called back) who said he'd come on over and watch Ben while we headed in.  Nick made a comment about of all the days to not grab a shower, so I told him to go ahead and take one.  No rush.  ;)  Then I wandered around the house, tidying up a bit, packing our hospital bags (I really left everything to the last minute).

Then my contractions started.  And they were hard and coming quickly, so that's when I started to freak out a bit.  My dad was driving in from Caldwell and I wanted to leave NOW.  So we decided we'd have my brother come meet us at the hospital to get Ben and we'd head out right then.  We got Ben up out of bed, into the car and my dad calls back saying he's like 5 minutes away.  So out of the car Ben went, back into bed he went, and we waited for my dad.

We got checked in to St. Lukes, my contractions coming about every 3-4 minutes.  I was only dilated to about a 3 but they admitted me and moved me to a delivery suite.  Things were rocking and rolling and I labored on my own for about 3 or 4 hours before the anesthesiologist got to my room to put in my epidural.  Flashbacks to Ben's delivery where it didn't WORK.  With Ben, I was feeling all my contractions in my right upper thigh. This time, I simply had no relief.  A bit later, back he came to redo it.  Man, oh man, he hit a nerve that felt like an electrical shock in my knee.  Finally got that all straightened out and that was awesome.  I felt NOTHING.  Ah-mazing.

I really thought, with the way things were progressing, that we'd have a baby no later than 7 that morning.  Cue the 11:00 hour and it turns out I'd simply stopped progressing.  He was face up instead of face down, he wasn't descended far enough in the birth canal where they could reach him to turn him and I was exhausted.  Exhausted and I hadn't even started pushing.  Nurses, OB and I made the call to do a c-section.  And it's a good thing we did.

At 12:18 pm, Matthew Cameron Beesley was born weighing 9 lbs, 1 oz.  He's 22 inches long and his head was 14 1/2 inches & has a full head of black hair.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Way to go Sarah! So did you end up flooding your bathroom? ;) Oh, and the little man is completely adorable!