Sunday, September 21, 2008

Open House: Total Drag

Well, the weekend is almost over. All that's left on the agenda is to head over to my parents later this evening to dinner and Packer football watching. I had the Open House for my launch party this weekend it was a total bust. Not one single neighbor showed up.

Saturday I had it from 12:00 to 2:00. My mom came over and stayed for the whole thing - she ordered and she called her friend Elaine who came over and ordered some things. My sponsor and her family came over as week to lend moral support and fill in the missing gaps from my inventory. Later that evening my sister in law come over with the girls and ordered some stuff.

Sunday was just me & Nick on our own. We set out my open house sign again (I got a generic black and white one from Fred's and wrote "Scentsy" on it and tied some purple and green balloons to it) and for about an hour we locked the pets up and left the front door open, hoping it would draw more people in. Well, it didn't. And kitty was being a pest - he was unhappy at being locked up. So, we closed the door and let the pets out. Nothing. Not one single person. I had snacks. I had drinks. I was going to give out a door prize and was offering incentives to anyone that booked & hosted a party.

I have to say that I really didn't expect anyone to come and my expectations were fully met. I can't say that I'm not disappointed by it - I really had hoped that curiosity would bring some people by, if not to order to spy on my house. Oh well.

It wasn't a total bust as my family pulled through and I did get some really great orders. If I don't find some new customers soon, I'm going to suck my family dry. The problem is that I just don't know that many people here. Besides family, the people I know are mostly work (and there aren't that many of them) and they're all busy during the weekends. I may try another open house during the week - I won't send out any advance notice, if Nick & I are at home, not doing anything anyway, I might just get out my stuff and put out my sign.

So, send your good thoughts my way and hopefully I'll build up some confidence and start approaching strangers. I know I'll get told no, which I'm totally not looking forward to, but if I don't even try I'll never get told "yes"

No comments:

Post a Comment